Advertisement

Green hair dye? Make your own?

topic posted Wed, August 24, 2005 - 10:11 PM by  Sesen
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hi everyone --

I've been using punky color semi-permanent green hair dye forEVER and now it looks like it's becoming harder and harder to find! :( I would hate to have to change colors, or, even worse, go back to my natural color. Does anyone know a good, reliable supplier on the internet that they would recommend?

Or, as another resort, I was thinking about learning to make my own hair dye in my own favorite custom color -- can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Sesen
posted by:
Sesen
Tucson
Advertisement
  • Re: Green hair dye? Make your own?

Thu, August 25, 2005 - 12:02 AM
    If you're willing to switch from Punky Color to SFX (dunno if it's "blind" brand loyalty, a certain shade, or just what works best with your hair), these folks have been around approximately forever (it's been quite a few years since I ordered from them, and they're still out there), and seem to always have a good stock of colors. There are a bunch of photos of the effects various customers have gotten with each color so you can find the green closest to your favorite. www.amphigory.com/special_e...irdye.html

Thu, August 25, 2005 - 2:03 PM
      No blind brand loyalty here! When I first moved out to AZ almost 4 years ago, I tried everything else I could find -- SFX, 'N Rage, Raw, and even Manic (which I actually tried last night in their Amplified Electric Lizard -- I think it washed some more dye out because it doesn't even look as green as when I started!), and they all seemed to wash out pretty quick (well, not really quick, in the time mentioned on the bottles... like, 3-6 weeks). Unfortunately, my hair takes to punky like no one's biz and it's been about 5 months since I dyed and it's finally starting to look only barely green... which, by the by, is GROSS looking.

Thu, August 25, 2005 - 11:50 PM
        When I was using SFX regularly, I found that I got better color using just enough dye to cover my hair lightly, and redoing it more often (every week or two). More dye in one sitting and the color was muddy and then faded badly. I tended to change colors every month or two, so I was forever bleaching the hell out of my formerly healthy hair. Dunno if that might help your hair or if it's one of those special things that only worked with my weird-ass hair... But it might be a solution worth trying if you can't find your favorite dye consistently anymore.

Is Pure Beauty not carrying the stuff you need? I'm not in SF these days, but I was usually able to find whatever dye I needed there.

Fri, August 26, 2005 - 1:26 PM
          It looks like Pure Beauty doesn't vend off a website, but they don't list Punky under 'brands carried'.

I wonder how many other tips and tricks I can find for the other dyes, since it really looks like I'm going to have to switch. For instance, I know to get punky to last so long, I'd mix in a good dose of really long lasting conditioner, which would stretch the dye AND make it take better....

Sun, February 26, 2006 - 5:25 PM
            Hey I use punky colour for my hair. I have used flamingo pink and rubine. I have rubine in now and I love it.

I want to learn how ot make my own hair dye for a science project. Then I could also make my own for my self. It would be a win win situation.

Thu, May 4, 2006 - 10:29 PM
    Hi All,

I've got a son with Down's Syndrome who is totally into the Incredible Hulk. For his birthday, my husband took our son to a salon today to get his hair dyed dark green. Instead, $150 dollars poorer, we've got a kid with pale green and brown hair - he looks like we were trying to turn him into a dryad. The hairstyler who worked on him didn't want to bleach the hair first and did so only under protest, then took only half the time we'd been told to expect. The salon has agreed to try again, but they're talking about grabbing a jar of Crazy Color and not bleaching before they re-dye. I think they're just trying to get out of doing a really good job.

I checked out the color sample page at www.amphigory.com/special_e...irdye.html and I think the Iguana Green looks like the shade we want. Mostly what I've seen in the local (Tucson) Sally's has been Manic Panic, but it seems like most of you prefer Special FX. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can you recommend a place to get good color?

Thanks!!!!

Recent topics in "expHAIRiments"